Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What is Lent?

My religious denomination doesn't participate in Lent. I was unfamiliar with the term and meaning until I was in high school. Lent is not mentioned in the Bible but is practiced by many denominations of Christianity. So, what is Lent? Lent is the 40 days before Easter and is a time for Christians to reflect of the life, death, resurrection and sacrifices of Jesus. This is done through fasting or giving up something pleasurable.

Although I do not participant in Lent with my other churchgoers, I will be doing two things in preparation for Easter. I will go on a walk every day to spend time in prayer and reflection. I will also being giving up fried foods. This is more of a personal goal to help me get healthier. 

I think doing these two things will help me get to a much better mental and physical state than I am right now. I have been so swamped with work and classes and have really let myself go crazy in the mental department as well as the eat-whatever-is-convenient department. I have totally ignored Weight Watchers which is silly because I know eating better and losing weight will make me happier and mentally stronger.

The Walnut Street Walking Bridge is my favorite place to walk in Chattanooga.
I hope to be doing most of my walks here.
Source
Good-bye Chick-Fil-A waffle fries, Champy's fried chicken, and my favorite Zaxby's chicken tenders.

Are you giving up anything for Lent?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good luck! I'm not a huge fry eater unless I'm at Chick Fil A. Thankfully, I love their fruit bowls.

      Delete
  2. It's gonna be fried foods for me too. I am also committing myself to read the bible daily and get healthy with WW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are good ones. I've definitely slacked with my WW.

      Delete
  3. I always took Lent as an opportunity to cull my spending habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 days is definitely a long enough period to save money but short enough so you dont go crazy!

      Delete