Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 Beauty Favorites

2012 has been a crazy year for me. I got married, started graduate school, and celebrated my 1 year anniversary at my big girl job! 2012 has also been a crazy year in the beauty world. So many new products have surfaced during the past 12 months which meant lots of money and time were spent searching for products. Here are my favorites that I discovered or kept using during the past year. 

Drugstore= any product that can be found at Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc. 

High end= any product that can be found at the high end section of Ulta, Sephora, or department store counters.




FACE

Primer: Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer (drugstore)
This primer glides on my skin and slightly mattifies it without leaving me with dry patches. My foundation buffs into my skin easier and stays longer when using this. Plus, I love the pump.Primer Honorable Mention: TheBalm Time Balm Face Primer (high end)
I've never used Smash Box's primer before, but I'm guessing this is similar since they are both silicone based. Instead of rubbing this into the skin I pat it so it doesn't cake up. My foundation goes on smoother, but I can't tell much of a difference to the wear time of my makeup when using this.

Foundation: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Foundation (drugstore)

I am so happy I finally tried this foundation. It has a very thin, almost gel-like consistency when applied to the skin. I apply it straight to my face with the sponge applicator and then buff it in with a buffing brush. Even though it's super thin it covers most of my acne scarring and hyperpigmentation. I also found that it works well during any season.
Foundation Honorable Mention: MUFE Mat Velvet + (high end)
I like to use this foundation when I am going out on the weekend or want fuller coverage. A small amount goes along way with this liquid foundation. It leaves me with a satin finish that isn't too matte but it's dewy. Dry skin wearers might want to try something like MUFE HD Foundation because this might be too drying.

Concealer: Revlon PhotoReady Concealer (drugstore)

This stick concealer is very creamy and blends like a dream. I use the shade Light Medium for my undereyes and face since I'm currently my palest of the year. This concealer gives a medium amount of coverage that can be layered to achieve full coverage without being cakey.
Concealer Honorable Mention: Benefit Boi-ing Lemon-Aid duo (high end)
I found this gem at Ulta for $12. The Lem-Aid side is a yellow shade that helps cancel out darkness on the lids and undereye area. I then use the Boi-ing side on top of the Lemon-Aid shade and on my face. Boi-ing has a slightly orange tint so paler faces might want to skip.

Powder: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (high end)

I've gone through three or four of these things in the last two years. Every time I try something different (and cheaper) I go back to this! I use this powder as a finishing powder with extra coverage or as a powder foundation. It never looks cakey and can be reapplied during the day. It doesn't do an amazing just at controlling oil, but I don't find that to be a big problem.
Powder Honorable Mention: Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation (drugstore)
I'm not sure if they still make this since I grabbed it during one of CVS's beauty sales and for the fact that it's at Big Lots, too. If it is available and you can find a shade that matches your skin I say grab it! It has an SPF of 50 so it shouldn't be worn in photographs but is a great day to day powder. The coverage is very light and doesn't appear cakey at all.


Blush: Sally Hansen Carmindy Sheerest Cream Blush in Bloom (drugstore)

This was another CVS beauty sale pick-up and I'm pretty sure it's no longer available. However, I've seen it at Big Lots as well as the Dollar Tree before. I'm not very big on pink blushes since they can make my skin look like it has a rash, but this cream blush is very sheer and blends like a dream. A little bit on the apple of the cheeks makes me look more awake. I like to tap this on with my fingers or the Real Techniques Stippling brush.
Blush Honorable Mention: Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed (high end)
This blush looks so boring in the pan but on the cheeks it adds the most natural flush to the skin. The Tarte blushes are expensive but a little bit goes on a long way, plus they can pop our of their cases to fit into a Z-Palette or MAC 15 pan eyeshadow palette without the insert.

Bronzer: Revlon PhotoReady Bronzer in Bronzed and Chic (drugstore)

A matte bronzer with four shades that can be used to add a little color to the face or contour...who would have thought you could get this at the drugstore?! This little gem came out with the Gucci collection this summer but is now a permanent part of Revlon. Although the package is a little bulky it's worth it for the amazing product inside!
Bronzer Honorable Mention: TheBalm Bahama Mama Bronzer (high end)
I was lucky enough to find this bronzer at TJ Maxx for a couple of bucks. I love to use this during the summer when I am darker or as a contour all year long. It's very, very pigmented like everything else from TheBalm so I would recommend using a fluffy powder brush or stippling brush to apply it with.

Highlighter: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade (high end)
I forgot what collection this came out with but it gives a subtle white gold sheen to the skin when applied. I like to bring this with me when I travel since it can be used as a face highland, brow bone highlight, and all over lid shade.
Highlighter Honorable Mention: Dior Amber Diamond (high end)
This was a definite YouTube/blog world inspired purchase. I think half the reason I like it so much is because it says Dior on it. The powder is finely milled and almost feels creamy to the touch. Like Lightscapade, I use it on my eyes as well as my face.


EYES

Brow Product: Revlon Brown Fantasy Brunette (drugstore)

I only used the tinted gel side of this pencil/brow gel wand. It literally take 5 seconds to sweep on my brows and go.
Brown Product Honorable Mention: NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder (drugstore)
I like to use these brow powder and gels when I want my eyebrows to look perfect. The compact is very small so it fits perfect into a clutch or makeup bag. The powders can also be used as matte eyeshadows.

Mascara: L'Oreal Carbon Black (drugstore)

This is a classic L'Oreal mascara that always finds its way back to my makeup bag. The formula isn't too wet or too dry, the color is the darkest black I can find, and it layers like a dream.
Mascara Honorable Mention: Urban Decay Supercurl Curling Mascara (high end)
If this stuff wasn't $20 a tube I would be using it every day! This mascara separates, curls, and lengthens in one swipe.

Single Eyeshadow: Nars Lola Lola (high end)

This is the only NARS product I own, but it definitely stands out among my other shadows. It's a reddish brown satin eyeshadow that I use all over the lid and into the crease for a quick and easy every day eye look.
Single Eyeshadow Honorable Mention: MAC Woodwinked (high end)
Woodwinked can be used just like Lola Lola- all over the lid and into the crease. If I get too pale it looks a bit orange on my skin, but it's the most beautiful bronze shade for the summer time!

Cream Eyeshadow: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze (drugstore)

I cannot rave enough about these cream shadows or this shade. Bad to the Bronze is more cool toned than warm toned bronze. I like to use my finger to put this all over the lid and crease. Sometimes I put a shadow over it but most of the time I use it alone. It doesn't crease and acts as a perfect primer for other shadows on top.
Cream Eyeshadow Honorable Mention: MAC Paint Pot in Nubile (high end)
This color was limited edition, but I've seen where bloggers have found this color and other from the collection at their local CCO. Nubile is a pinky nude color that covers all the veins and darkness of my lids (eww) and creates a smooth base for other shadows.

Eyeshadow Palette: Naked Palette (high end)

I prefer the original Naked Palette over Naked 2 because of the warm colors. I like to bring this palette with me when I travel because it has any color I would need. My favorite colors include Virgin, Half Baked, and Toasted.
Eyeshadow Palette Honorable Mention: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Palette in Petal Pusher (drugstore)
I don't reach for this $5 palette as much as I should but the warm toned colors are highly pigmented and can create any natural or smokey eye look.


Eyeliner: L'Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner (drugstore)
I know a lot of beauty lovers reach for the Carbon Black felt tip liner instead of this one, but I think this one is just as dark and easier to use. It lasts about 6 months and the easy to use felt tip offers the perfect amount of control when trying to achieve a winged out line.

Eyeliner Honorable Mention: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner Pencil Duo in Whiskey/Zero (high end)
I received this double ended liner when I first purchased the Naked palette whenever it was first released. Having the dark brown and black shades in one place made it perfect for travel. The liners are creamy andcan be smudged out if done quickly before they dry. These liners will not budge until you take your makeup off.

LIPS

Lip Balm: Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment (high end)
I received this on my birthday from Sephora's Beauty Insider program. If you shop at Sephora or sephora.com then you should definitely be signed up for the free program. I wasn't a big fan of the original lip treatment but fell in love with the rose one. I put it on every night and it lasted until the morning, didn't make my lips swell, and added the perfect amount of red tint to my lips. The full size balms run around $22, so I haven't ran out to purchase it but maybe one day.

Lip Balm Honorable Mention: Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Lip Protectant (high end)
Although this is a high end product I see this product at TJ Maxx and Marshall's all the time.  The 8 Hour Lip Protectant in the small tins contain the exact same product of the tubes of 8 Hour Cream. The taste and smell of the cream is a bit funny but the amount of moisture it gives my lips is worth it.


Lipstick: MAC Viva Glam V (high end)

I had never finished a complete lipstick before finding this gem. Depending on your natural lip color, Viva Glam V might look nudey or pinky on you. It has a bit of frost to it that looks great on its own or over another lip color. Plus, 100% of the proceeds from the lipstick go to AIDS research.
Lipstick Honorable Mention: Revlon Colorburst Lipsticks (drugstore)
This line of lipsticks are super pigmented and moisturizing. My favorite colors are Fushia and Peach. I tend to grab these over most of my MAC lipsticks since they glide on so creamy.

Lip Product: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (drugstore)
This product is genius...a glossy balm that fades into a stain. The colors range from very subtle to very bright. I am in love with the bright pinks and like Sweetheart and Lovesick.
Lip Product Honorable Mention: Revlon Colorbursts Lip Butters (drugstore)
I have crazy dry lips so anything that adds pigmented color while providing moisture is a winner for me! The Revlon Lip Butters are so easy to apply and never feel heavy like lipsticks do sometimes. My favorite colors are Berry Smoothie and Candy Apple.


TOOLS
Makeup Tools: Real Technique Makeup Brushes (Ulta)
I'm not sure where else you can find Real Technique brushes, but I found mine at Ulta. These brushes were designed by Samantha Chapman of the Pixiwoo sisters. These quality brushes are some of the softest I have ever used and do not shed while being washed. My two favorites are the buffing brush which I use to apply my foundation and the stippling brush which I use to apply cream products or foundation. Ulta normally has a Buy 1, Get 1 50% off on the line which can also be used with a store coupon.
Makeup Tool Honorable Mention: BeautyBlender sponge
If you would have told me two years ago I would pay $26 for two makeup sponges. However, that $26 was well spent. BeautyBlender sponges expand when ran under water and are used to stipple on cream products. I like to dot foundation and my concealer on my face then used the damp sponge to stipple and blend the products on my face. I then use the sponge and my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural powder to add extra coverage to my face. Since the MSFN is a baked product it is ok if it gets wet or damp. Using a BeautyBlender will ensure that your makeup never gets cakey.


What were some of your 2012 favorites?

1 comment:

  1. great choices! I love MUFE Mat Velvet + and UD Naked Palette as well!

    http://confessionsofacanadianwallflower.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete